Thursday, April 29, 2004

John's thinking of ads and I'm the copywriter. We should get this sorted out. But on another note:

Mandarin translations of English copy are usually rather amusing but that amusement can quickly turn to distress when you find that it is YOUR copy which has been translated. I had the misfortune of experiencing this about half an hour ago after one of the designers let out a chuckle and directed my attention to his monitor.

Apparently, “set your imagination free” (clichéd I know, but what the client wants, the client gets), had somehow been morphed into "fang4 fei1 ning2 de4 xiang3 xiang4 li4". Or literally, “let fly your imagination”, which, needless to say, resulted in me letting fly more than just my imagination. Just another job hazard I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home