Friday, December 24, 2004

Karaoke really isn’t my thing. In fact, I don’t think it’s most people’s thing. Not that that’s stopping them. Yesterday’s company function was only the 2nd time I’ve found myself trapped in a karaoke session. (I regret not inserting a “NO KARAOKE!!!!” clause in my appointment letter) And, since we were in a room that just happened to be in a mazy building that just happened to be perched atop a hill, my chances of escape were remote. Add to that a bunch of moderately inebriated colleagues and you could say I saw my chances executed by firing squad.

Anyway, in my hour and a half there, I managed to get away with singing only half a song which, unfortunately, was Michael Learns to Rock’s 25 Minutes. Good grief.

As inevitably seems to be the case, most of the songs chosen were either in Chinese or Cantonese, and I was familiar with none. My colleagues were having a ball of a time though. Tragic songs were sung with a smile and much screaming, laughing and clapping. There were the odd Beatles or Elvis songs which I managed to sing along to (such as Na na na-ing to Let It Be) but that was about it.

In the end, the madness lasted till 12.30am when everyone abruptly decided to leave. The herd instinct is amazing at times.

I know this entry sucks but I still feel half drunk and my plans for tonight have just been screwed. Dammit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home