Monday, August 16, 2004

Fairy tales, in my humble opinion, are utter rubbish.

Females would disagree.

But I'd like to take this opportunity to prove something, so bear with me.

We all know the format for fairy tales. There's a prince charming, complete with a beautiful white steed, shiny armour, a chateau, and most importantly, a heroic chin (I've got a theory on this, but I digress). There's a princess who's all frail, but lovely and beautiful. We'll leave out the story of epic proportions that ensues, and go right to the happy ending. Now, let's see some hands guys: who actually wants to grow up to be Prince Charming? Okay, no takers. Now ladies, and let's be honest, who wants to grow up to be the Princess?

I rest my case.

The SDU's Success Stories™ read like fairy tales. But it's not that they are untrue, but like Allen Wu's acting, it's unreal. Here's a lady, single, and she's looking for a date. She enters a speed dating service. She meets a guy, who's above average looking, spends lots of time overseas, rich (because he can buy you a Lancer!) and best yet, can expose you for the shallow person that you are.

I'm not going to start venus-bashing. I think that article has done it more than enough. It's just that I'm upset that a government body meant to relieve the Singles issues in Singapore has resorted to cheapening its females and pimping them to rich men. They play on the fantasies of desperate thousands.

I once joked that 90% of Singaporean women are interested in only 5% of the men here; those who are rich, smart, handsome, and preferably, caucasian. Jokes aside, I think that's largely the case. Because though I know quite a few ladies who are not like that at all (thank God for them), I've known even more who are.

What? Sour grapes? No, not me, I've got a heroic chin.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

I got this quote from Jane Austen..

(Some women) very accomplished and ignorant… the object of all they do being to captivate some man of much better fortune than their own.

I was cringing when I read about the Lancer gift!

8/23/2004 1:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home