Friday, June 11, 2004

The Daily Trudge

Recently, I decided to stop at Raffles Place MRT and walk to work from there instead of from Tanjong Pagar MRT. No doubt that the walk is a little longer and the route a little more complicated but there are more things to see along the way that make the walk much more enjoyable. This is ignoring the mundane trudge through the expressway that is the tunnel from Raffles Place to the real world, of course.

Emerging from the darkness, one is thrown into the hustle and bustle that is “insert road name here”. I can’t remember. Cecil St or Robinson Road or something like that. I spend most of this part of the walk staring at the roads. Apparently there are some obscenely rich folks on wheels in Singapore. Just today I spotted a Lotus Elise and a yellow Porsche Carrera. Yesterday produced a vintage Ferrari. The type that looks a bit square but cool nonetheless. One day I’m sure the Pagani Zonda will find its way onto our roads.

There’s this take-away Delifrance outlet across the road which looks kinda quaint in the British way. Something like what you’d find in London. Ironic. It’s small with a cosy looking interior and a take-away sign that looks like those you see in old movies at popcorn stands outside cinemas. At least that’s what it looked like to me. Boulangerie et Café Francais. Wonder what that means.

Of course, this being Singapore, one cannot escape crappy name syndrome. So following Delifrance comes Modern Beauty Salon or was it Hair Salon. Matters not. Names like that irk me for some reason. Then there’s Burger King and was it Starbucks? Ack. My memory fails me again. Must try the Burger King breakfast one day.

Back on my side of the road, Lau Pa Sat is next. There’s this café named the Great Panini Italian Café in there. Saw a few ang mohs sitting down having a puff. Not the place for us locals it seems. We prefer black coffee with you tiao thank you very much. Crossing the road from Lau Pa Sat, The Ogilvy Center awaits. Every time I pass this building I am filled with a discontent and self-loathing that is compounded by the sight of creatives with their Ogilvy stamped passes moving in and out. O&M, one of the largest, most creatively awarded agencies in the world and I’m not part of it. I envy you, Yvonne!!

But career rage aside, Subway pops up. Yes, a Subway right under Ogilvy. The injustice of it all. The day before, I went down with Suyi to get breakfast and she asked for a 3-inch sandwich which totally stumped the guy at the counter. “We only have 6-inch or foot long” he managed to blurt. I had to look down at my feet while the tears streamed from my eyes.

Spinelli’s and Ya Kun are next. I’m really focused on food, aren’t I? Anyways, the lime juice at Ya Kun is a must try. We all know about the kaya toast and the soft-boiled eggs. One of the “aunties” at the counter knows me already. I’m really spending too much money there. “xiao3 di4, he1 she3 me4? How anyone can call a 25-year old “xiao3 di4” is beyond me. An aside - a cup of hot tea or coffee costs $1 but ask for an iced tea or coffee and the price jumps to $1.80. 80 cents for ice! They must use Evian.

More food follows with some sandwich place (again for ang mohs though the $7 fry-up breakfast would appeal across the world), a few Indian eateries and Hans. The most worth-it thing at Hans is the steak set lunch. It tastes decent and, more importantly, is huge, frequently coming in the shape of the USA. I often start by slicing Florida off and finish up by wolfing down New York, moving in a sort of U-shape, if you may.

A whole paragraph on Hans and its steak, my goodness. There’s also this claypot place which is kinda pricey at $7 or so per serving but it sure looks good. MPH is located in the same building and this is where we often go for inspiration, also known as ripping off ideas. I’ve found many a line here which I’ve cunningly tweaked to suit my purposes. Round the bend is Caffe Brastilava. Yes, two Fs in Caffe and it’s Brastilava not Bratislava. Another ang moh place. Golden Bridge – nothing much to describe there. Mainly food again. And then it’s the office. Ack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home