Friday, June 11, 2004

Down with the Bourgeoisie

Took a few liberties at lunch today. Had a satisfying chicken teriyaki sandwich at Subway, an iced tea at Ya Kun and then went down to Raffles City cos my art director needed to do something to his watch.

While waiting for him to get his stuff done, we wandered around a little. I fiddled with the iPods on display, which only helped fuel the fire of consumerism burning away at the core of my very soul. It just felt… right. Put your finger on the wheel and the iPod instantly becomes an extension of your body. Or maybe you instantly become an extension of the iPod. Either way, it’s an unforgettable experience. iSaw, iWanted, iBought, damn, iWish. I’ll leave the techie reviews to resident geek/tech expert/magazine writer, John.

Among other things that caught my eye, a Patek Philippe watch that cost a whopping $84,000. You could get a car for that type of money which means that some rich ass could easily tell you that his wrist watch cost more than your crappy Honda Jazz.

Also, Vertu mobile phones at the Vertu shop in some obscure corner of Raffles City near the concierge desk. These phones come in platinum, yellow and white gold, as well as *scoff* stainless steel. The price? A reasonable £17,050 for the platinum version which works out to about *gasp* SGD$53,363. Did I scoff at the stainless steel version? Of course I did. That one merely costs an economical SGD$13,927. I guess what they’re really selling here are their services. Seems that anyone who buys a Vertu phone qualifies for their concierge service, available at the touch of a button, 24/7. Buy the phone and you’ll be able to reserve tables at restaurants, have your travel arrangements settled for you and, as I heard, enjoy limousine services. I really don’t know what to make of all this extravagance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home