Friday, May 27, 2005

Nothing more than feelings

Many thanks to Joel's review of the amazing Champions League match. I shall not bore all five (my estimate of this blog's readership) of Joel's friends by doing another one. Make no mistake, it will still be about Liverpool winning the Champions League. If you couldn't care less about football or Liverpool, take it as a break from Joel's self-deprecating humour wit (which I love by the way). This is a trip through the emotions felt on that Turkish night - a rollercoaster ride no Best Director movie can take one through in three hours.

Anticipation - the plan was to get to YK's place at about midnight for the game. Should have been a perfect outing thanks to the 32" LCD TV at his place, the pool table and most importantly, the fact that I would have been able to scream and shout with another Liverpool fan without waking my family. It was not to be, my cough stopped me. But the sheer electric feeling that Liverpool may win the biggest prize in European club football kept me awake - oh, the fragging of my colleague in CS:S between 12 and 2:30 helped too.

Hope - Nobody expected Liverpool to come this far, but beating Juve and Chelski, the last two European contenders, gave Liverpool fans all over hope. Our anthem says it best, and even though it wasn't Anfield, the song came through loud and clear

Walk on, through the wind,
Walk on, through the rain,
Though your dreams be tossed and blown.
Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone.

Shock/Anger - The first minute, and Milan scored. How could that have happened? The reason why Liverpool was even at this final is thanks to their tight defence. I actually became angry with Traore for conceding the free kick and anger at Kewell for being lousy. The first Australian to reach the Champions League final - bah, no prizes for guessing why.

Despair - In the words of the immortal (now deceased) Yoda: Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. And boy did I suffer. The consolation/mockery SMSes started coming in, I ignored them all. All I did was to start playing Bejeweled on my PDA, refusing to look up even when half-time ended, resulting in a new high score. The greatest fear was that we will be thrashed, and set a new record for the biggest loss in a European final match. I felt like a young boy who dared only to look through the partings of his own fingers when faced with a Pontianak movie.

Excitement - I looked up to see Liverpool attacking, and the Gerrard header! Then it happened again as Milan Baros made the best move of his appearance in the match - getting out of the way to allow Smicer's low shot in. Then the move that saw Gerrard clear on goal, the penalty missed then Alonso redeeming himself. Those six minutes were electrifying.. I was trembling at the end of it, my face was barely half a metre from the TV and I couldn't sit down from the excitement.

Anticipation - A different kind from the start of the match. As Milan pushed ahead to regain the lead, I was constantly waiting for the referee's whistle. BLOW THE WHISTLE ALREADY! I felt Milan's Dida was the better of the two goalkeepers but at least there was hope if Milan didn't score during open play.

Relief - At one point, I was contented. It was already 3-3, and I knew that even if Milan did score another, or go on to win through penalties, there was no shame. Liverpool had shown what they were made of and the criticism at work the next day should have already been lessened.

Elation - This needs no description. I'll let this picture speak. Forgive Riise, if he isn't wearing weird hair, then it's a funny hat, must be a Norwegian thing.


5 Comments:

Blogger Da Froggie said...

Kudos to your team. I suspect I will get flammed if I say AC Milan lost it rather than Liverpool won it. Whatever it is..it is in Liverpool's destiny to win once again. Great spell in the 2nd half..

Pai say..I watch till 1/2 time only..cos @ 3-0 up...AC Milan should have cruised to victory..But who knows..right...

Kaka, where's ur defense splitting passes in the 2nd half?

6/03/2005 5:24 pm  
Blogger Joel said...

No you will not get flamed! We are very friendly to people who are realistic. I myself am a realist, which is why this fairy tale pisses me off.

6/03/2005 11:40 pm  
Blogger Da Froggie said...

I seriously don't want you to be president of Singapore as you may decree that all of us support Liverpool Football Club. That would be unthinkable...Haha

6/04/2005 1:24 am  
Blogger Joel said...

But I am not a Liverpool supporter. I am a Newcastle/closet Chelsea fan. I will decide which club all of you must support when I take office. Be thankful that it won't be Home United though.

6/05/2005 12:57 am  
Blogger Da Froggie said...

Who would you hire to coach our soccer team? Remember Goal 2010? This gahmen seems to full of hot gases....

6/06/2005 1:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home