Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I’m writing this entry to take a break from… er… writing. Anyway, just finished tidying up some ridiculously prolix brochure for some ridiculously soporific IT client. I recently learnt these words (I’m sure you know which ones) so bear with me. This coming hot on the heels of a mobile phone brochure I had to work on over the Christmas weekend followed by some case study to be done over the New Year weekend. Apparently, in this agency, “holiday” simply means working from home rather than in the office. But like all profit-driven organisations, this is just their way of “maximising productivity” and “optimising cost-efficiency”. Ah… the joy of using words that have more than their fair share of syllables. In fact, I’m pretty sure that if I hadn’t been forced to adopt the IT tone of voice, and been allowed to use the words “cheap” and “good” more often, that damned brochure would’ve been half its length. But no point being bitter. What’s done is done. There actually came a point where I CTRL-Ced the word “efficiency” just so I could CTRL-V it in the appropriate thousand or so places. Now, that’s what I call true efficiency.

I just realised that this entry will make no sense to anyone who hasn’t read IT stuff. Good for you then.

2 Comments:

Blogger es said...

After putting in the hours and sacrifices, have you considered your ROIs? Work seems to have integrated seamlessly with your social life.

You were promised "Scalability" which means that it will only get worse! At this stage, you need to re-evaluate your requirements and look into deployment of a solution that can be supported by one of the most advanced platforms.

This can be done through a 3 phase approach:

1. Review how you can streamline your current work processes.

2. Implement system customisation and personalisation of input systems.

3. Monitor your thin client technology and evaluate constantly.

Having done all these, you might however see no improvement to your total productivity. If that is the case, I suggest you try the last methodology by executing the "Immobile Solutions":

1. Remove all screens and monitors (with the exception of the TV) at home.

2. Cancel your broadband.

Things will get better.

12/30/2005 6:41 pm  
Blogger Joel said...

There don't seem to be any ROIs in this business. I'm just in it cos I happen to know how to use MS Word.

And getting rid of broadband is out of the question! If I did that, how else would I play web-boggle?

1/03/2006 9:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home