Monday, November 14, 2005

Three months in.

Today officially marks the end of my probation period at this agency. Three months – come and gone in a flash. I still feel green and yet I also feel like I’ve been here forever. The contradiction is hard to understand. Perhaps it’s because I’m just getting by on a day-to-day basis. I have no real attachment to this place. The work is numbing, the bosses don’t give a fuck and my seat makes my ass hurt (I know that’s beside the point).

So am I looking around for other openings? Of course I am. It’s part and parcel of being in this industry. The moment something better comes along, you pounce. But it’s hard to keep the scepticism down. As they say, different place, same old shit.

What I’m hoping for wherever I should go is a mentor – someone who actually has the patience to sit down and tell me where I’ve gone wrong instead of strutting around the whole day basking in his own creative brilliance. I know it’s unrealistic but there’s no harm looking. Maybe getting my grounding in a small agency is the way to go. I’m not sure at all.

On a slightly brighter note, there’s an ad I worked on going out in the papers next week. Sure, it’s a crappy property ad and the headline got massacred by the client but it’s an ad nonetheless. And the version with the original headline is going into my portfolio – a welcome addition to a book that’s scanty by any standard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home