Friday, February 17, 2006

Interview over a pint

I have an interview tomorrow. And though my stomach is supposed to be filled with fluttery, colourful, six-legged things and my mouth should be twitching involuntarily, I am surprisingly calm. So calm, in fact, that I’ve just woken up in a puddle of drool with creases on my face.

I wonder why there’s no fluster this time. Maybe it’s cos I sorta know my interviewer. Or maybe I’ve simply had too many interviews, all of which have just been a matter of saying hello to the boss and then handing over my portfolio. But this one’s a little different. We won’t be meeting in his office, or mine, or the coffeeshop downstairs. We’ll be meeting in a pub.

I don’t know about you but I’ve never been interviewed in a pub before. It’s like eating duck with chocolate sauce. Just doesn’t really feel right. And how on earth is he gonna read my copy in that type of lighting? I have half the mind to go over all the words now in luminous ink. But that’ll just make him think my book’s a Halloween party or Boy George’s face.

One more thing about being interviewed in a pub – small talk. You order a Heineken, he orders a Stella. You pass him your book and you take a few nervous sips. He, being busy with your book, doesn’t touch his beer. When he’s done, he closes your folder and hands it back to you with a smile. You smile back and place it in your bag. THEN WHAT?! There’re two pints of beer to finish up, mind you. Talk about your “passion” for advertising? Ask him about his family? Tell him that you have a dog and a cat and that dog poo and cat poo are actually like chalk and cheese?

I am absolutely rubbish at small talk. Don’t ask me why. I just can’t do it which pretty much screws up my networking opportunities. I’m amazed at how some people can introduce themselves to you and not 15 minutes later reveal the size of their mum’s undies or some other obscure fact. It’s horrifying.

But wait. Back to my interview. Yes. I am totally unprepared but heck. If it happens it happens. If not, then I’ll just muck about where I am for a bit longer. Right now, I just need a good list of small talk topics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home