Thursday, July 21, 2005

We're four.

I first met Pat at an orientation camp in NUS. She was a freshie. I was a 2nd year councillor. (Note: I did not volunteer for the camp with the express purpose of getting hitched. My parents were in the process of their divorce at the time and I had to get out. Why do I even need to explain myself?) I managed to get Adrian to go with me and, other than putting his hands around my neck and squeezing vigorously upon seeing a lump of female corpulence waddle into our OG, he was a great partner. It was odd that I never really noticed Pat throughout the camp. I was too preoccupied with getting thrown into the sea, pitching tents and trying to survive all the damn telematches.

And so it was only after the camp that Pat and I really got to know each other. We talked a lot over ICQ (this really is ancient history) and started meeting up. My impression of her was that of a well-balanced, sensible, down-to-earth girl with a disturbing propensity to either walk into or have things walk into her. The latter made me laugh which in turn led to me experiencing some pain of my own. Nothing comes free.

In the following month or so, I realised that I liked very much how we could talk about so many things and how she seemed bereft of any willful or childish tendencies. To me, she seemed perfect. After enduring a previous relationship with a somewhat moody girl, I needed something that wouldn't fall into the routine of quarrel - try desperately to make up - make up - quarrel. Which is why one day I sent her an SMS asking if she would be my girlfriend. Now, before you romantics start getting all up in arms over this ostensibly unromantic approach, you must first realise that like any good advertisement, the message and the medium of delivery were targeted specifically at this audience. Pat wasn't and still isn't the type who falls for effusiveness or extravagance. She likes things simple (not that I am simple!) and to the point. And besides, it's comforting to know that she said yes solely because of me and not because of some 3-foot tall Hello Kitty toy with a pink heart-shaped balloon tied to one paw.

Last night, we celebrated our fourth year together in the traditional, uncomplicated way. An excellent dinner at Bliss (the mash there is amazing) was followed by a nice long chat about everything and everyone. It's good that conversation still flows freely after so long. This baffles many of my friends who find it strange that we can actually communicate when Pat's a Mandarin teacher while I am this “chao kantang” copywriter. It's never been an issue really. Pat's effectively bilingual and I'm, well… er… yeah.

So there it is. Life since meeting Pat has been one big fat strawberry for me. I hope it's been the same for her though I've been a less than perfect partner. If she complains, however, rest assured that I won't be telling any of you about it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gavo said...

That was one of your best entries ever. That is so sweeet!

7/21/2005 9:26 pm  
Blogger Joel said...

Sweet?!
Nooooooooooooooo!

7/21/2005 11:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so sweet of you...

7/23/2005 11:36 pm  
Blogger Joel said...

Frank. The word is 'frank'.

Ah... never mind.

7/24/2005 3:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it really is sweet...all the sweeter because is frank, and its sweet because of the way you remember it...aww...*tissue plse* :>

7/26/2005 11:35 pm  
Blogger Joel said...

My goodness, people! Put the tissues away please!

But yeah, Pat's a great girl. Gotta agree with that.

7/27/2005 11:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home