Friday, July 08, 2005

Back in the mainstream

So I’m waiting at the reception of my future agency grinning insanely at the awards wall. Countless New York Fests, an INK award, one (rather ugly) Cannes Lion. I have never seen so much prestige in my life. And then an arty creative walks past which forces me to act nonchalant (look at fingernails, tap feet, you know), as if I’m used to this sort of thing. The moment he’s gone, the insane grinning commences again. I don’t know why I behave like that.

This goes on for twenty whole minutes (grin, nonchalant, grin, nonchalant) until the HR manager finally remembers that she has to actually pass me the papers before I can sign them. I have never signed anything this fast.

“I’ll give you a few minutes to read through this.” she says and slips out of the conference room.

Within 5 seconds, my signature is planted on both copies of the appointment letter. Amazing even for someone whose signature looks like grass or a bunch of weeds (thanks for pointing this out, Tanty).

And then I sit back and smile contentedly at the whiteboard for 15 minutes. Once again, I know not why.

It’s rather disturbing that I’m so awed by all this advertising stuff. I wonder what type of slobbering wreck I’d be if I ever get into Ogilvy. Stop sniggering Gavin. We are distant colleagues after all, in a sense. Maybe it’s something you get used to (the advertising stuff, not the slobbering). Maybe I’ll even contribute to the collection. I certainly hope so. At the very least, I’ll be more motivated than I am here. Formats? What are those? Material keys? *scoff* I’m back in the mainstream!

Anyway, before I start sounding like some crackhead, I now find myself in need of a resignation letter – something which, despite my occupation, I have no idea how to write. This makes a visit to i-resign.com necessary once again. This is how I resigned 4 months ago and this is how I’ll resign now. Some things never change.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh, you will be truly missed by pewter coasters & limp toiletries bag...you have brought much pride & honour to premiums..

7/08/2005 2:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats!!

Friday? Hey, but I saw you...wat did i miss?

7/09/2005 12:17 am  
Blogger es said...

Like I said, as much as I would miss you, I would also be very happy.

Two main reasons:

1. Your farewell treat to me
2. The prospects of a cute new colleague

7/09/2005 3:33 am  
Blogger Joel said...

Wait wait. Who's who? Ok. First anonymous is Krazy Karen. Second is? Darn.

Eunice... shouldn't you be giving me that farewell treat?

And yes, it's only fair that another cute colleague replaces this cute colleague.

Thanks for the non-existent well-wishes.

7/09/2005 4:30 am  
Blogger Gavo said...

hehe. Congrats dude,what awards are those again?

Becareful, don't slobber too much just yet..

Your blood might just be useful at www.blood.com.sg

*Hint - Its a red site

7/10/2005 3:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, best wishes for ya...Mind sharing with us which big firm you are joining:?

7/12/2005 12:43 am  
Blogger Joel said...

Hey Balls,

I don't usually name the firm I'm working at. Reader's Digest popped up only cos the company name was in those damned pics. But it suffices to say that it's an international below-the-line agency.

Thanks for asking.

7/12/2005 4:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home