Thursday, February 23, 2006

What to expect

Went down to the new agency to sign my appointment letter today and the GM gave me a brief prep talk. It’s interesting to know that he used to be a writer as well before hopping over to client services. That’s already a good start. I’ve seen agencies run by advertising ignoramuses to whom the word “concept” is as fathomable as, say, the word “eleemosynary”. They’ve managed to survive simply by repeating “integrated maah-keting communications” ad nauseam in a fake American accent. And pricing themselves way below market rate, of course. Which means they’ve gotten hold of a bunch of elite clients with no money and the combined intelligence of a wombat. But, as long as they believe they’re going somewhere, peace be with them.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that a discerning servicing team is absolutely crucial. In my first agency, copy-led ads were a no-no simply cos they couldn’t read. And when they did eventually choose a concept to present, it was the one we’d all agreed beforehand was the worst of the lot. This led to much pencil chewing and ancestor cursing.

Of course, in this new environment, there’ll be pressure to produce better ideas. Probably even award-winning ones which is as exciting as it is unnerving. But that’s the way it should be. I’m there to get better at what I do and I’m very aware that, right now, I have all the creative know-how of a potted plant. Hopefully, of course, with the right guidance and exposure, that potted plant will eventually bloom and bear fruit and be home to pigeons which will crap on other people’s heads.

And then there’s the issue of money. The GM was very direct when he told me that he is under no illusion that any of us are in it just for the job satisfaction. It’s all about the money. I nodded heartily at this, which was probably uncalled for. Anyway, he went on to tell me that he believes in rewarding his staff. Apparently, the outgoing writer got four increments in the space of just one and a half years which I think is brilliant. I got two increments in a year at my first agency but that was only after I’d threatened to set the CEO on fire. Twice. And yet here, they’re giving increments out like candy. I know all this may just be the sugar coating on the dungball but at least there’s a sugar coating.

And so I signed the letter gladly. Then, feeling very pleased with myself, I made my exit, found my way to the bus stop and promptly hopped onto the wrong bus. Which meant that instead of getting to Peninsular Plaza, which was my original intended destination, I found myself fidgeting and muttering at Hougang Interchange. Somehow,and despite another brief setback in the form of a flash downpour, I eventually made it back to the office. So now I’m wet, cold, and smelling like a cow. But at least there’s something to look forward to.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Go Joel go!

2/23/2006 6:51 pm  
Blogger Joel said...

Ooh! I'm going! I'm going!

3/06/2006 10:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home